I have been trying to introduce more vegetables in our diet so I’m always on the look out for new and exciting recipes. Like these stuffed aubergines 🙂 I always liked aubergines but never really cooked it much. It was always something I would have when dinning out but never at home. I’m not even sure why as my parents also like it. Maybe because it’s not a vegetable that we grown in our land? I’m not sure but I like it and I’m using more and more in my recipes.
From a whole lot of recipes that I found online, my favorite is stuffed aubergines. Most of the times it starts with a hunt for whatever is in the fridge and then putting my imagination to work. This time I found a small amount of minced beef that was not enough for any other dish. I must have kept it thinking that my boyfriend would use it on one of his pasta dishes. Well, too late, I’m using it 🙂 And I also had some mushrooms that had to be eaten. Soon dinner arrived to the table 🙂
- 1 aubergine
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh sliced mushrooms to taste
- 150 g minced beef
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Parsley to taste
- Salt pepper and oregano, to taste
- Grated cheese
- Preheat the oven - 180C
- Wash the aubergine and cut in half lengthwise
- Remove the core carefully and set aside both parts
- Drizzle the inside and the core of the aubergine with lemon juice so it doesn't oxide.
- Cut the aubergine core into small squares.
- Chop the onion and garlic and sauté for 1 min in the olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and the aubergine squares. Cook for a little.
- Add the tomato pulp and meat. Stir well to combine all the ingredients
- Season with salt and pepper and let it cook.
- At the end add the parsley and oregano.
- Fill the aubergine halves and sprinkle with cheese
- Bake to melt the cheese (about 10/15 min)
- Serve with a green salad