I think by now I showed everyone how much I love to cook! But some days I put the cooking love aside and my other love steps in: my boyfriend. I’ve mentioned before that he also likes to cook and every so often I allow him to use the kitchen 🙂 Being half Italian, it’s quite normal that any dishes involving pasta are his specialty… We’re used to see spaghetti meatballs on the menu of some Italian restaurants but I was told that it’s not an Italian dish. After some research I found out that it was created by the Italian immigrants in America and it’s there that the dish is very popular. You can find in the South of Italy but made differently and it’s not a popular dish. But guess what? I like it and sometimes my boyfriend accepts to cook it for me 🙂 So he came up with rigatoni with meatballs and tomato sauce to make me happy… and it was a hit 🙂
Rigatoni with meatballs and tomato sauce
- 300 g rigatoni pasta
- 300 g minced meat beef and pork
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 200 g of tomato pulp
- Grated cheese to taste
- Fresh basil to taste
- Place the minced meat in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, dried basil, bread crumbs and mix well. Shape it into small balls (makes about 30 balls) and set aside.
- In a pan with olive oil, sauté the chopped onion and garlic until soft. Add the wine, tomato pulp and allowed it to stew for 5 min. Add the meatballs and cook with the pan covered. If necessary add a little water.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water (follow the instructions of the package). When ready, drain the pasta and add it to the meatballs and sauce which by now has finished cooking. Combine everything and if necessary add a little of the pasta cooking water (so pasta doesn't get dry)
- Serve sprinkled with fresh basil and grated cheese.