Every so often, I have to look around the fridge for items that may be coming to their “use by” date. I find that it’s normal to have either leftovers or items that you bought and ended up not using straight away. I don’t know about you but I can’t go to the supermarket without buying more than what I went there for 🙁 Ideas will come to me while I’m walking along the aisles or I will see something I think I may need in the future 🙂 luckily I very rarely buy things that I don’t use at all. The worse it can happen is that I forget I have it or other recipes came up. And then I have to take a break on my supermarket trips and use what I already have. Sometimes it’s easy to come up with something, other times I have to really surf the internet for ideas. Or I end up just telling my boyfriend it’s his turn to cook (yes, he does cook) and he’ll come up with a pasta recipe that uses all my fridge ingredients 🙂
I find that quiche and pies are a great way to clean up your fridge 🙂 I had some left over spinach that weren’t enough for anything else and ricotta cheese with 2 days left before the expiry date… and eggs are always present in my fridge as well as ready-made pastry in my freezer… so a Ricotta and Spinach Quiche was born 🙂 and a very good one…
Ricotta & Spinach Quiche
- 1 shortcrust pastry base shop bought
- 250 g fresh spinach leaves
- 200 ml ricotta
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Nutmeg and oregano to taste
- Grated cheese as needed
- Preheat oven - 200C
- In a large skillet, place the olive oil and garlic. Once the oil is warm, add the spinach and saute until they lose all the water.
- Turn off the heat and add the ricotta cheese. Stir well and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the cream and season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and oregano.
- Wrap the egg mixture into the mix of spinach and ricotta. Mix well.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry and line a tart pan with it, pit the inside of the pastry with a fork and pour in the filling.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake in the oven for about 35 min or until golden and firm.