Have you noticed the change of temperature and how shorter the days are? Yes, Autumn is here. Which means… it’s pumpkin season!!! So nothing like a good pumpkin pie to celebrate 🙂 This is my first pie of the season and a few more will follow for sure. It’s a favourite of ours and it’s a great way to eat that enormous and delicious pumpkin I bought a few days ago.
Pumpkin was one of those vegetables that I would not eat when I was a child. Yep, I just didn’t like it. And today I can’t think of a reason why not to eat pumpkin. My mum says says that I would reject anything with a sweet taste to it so pumpkin and sweet potatoes were not allowed in my dishes. Oh, how much I was missing. So nowadays I’m trying to compensate the time lost by eating both vegetables quite regularly 🙂
So, as you can guess, I would not touch all those nice pumpkin pies that my mum used to bake every year. Now, imagine how surprised my poor mum was when, a few years ago, I went home in October, and asked for her pumpkin pie recipe!!! She couldn’t believe her ears 🙂 After all the years not using pumpkin in the food because of me… I don’t know how and when I started eating it but it was not that long ago… and I’m glad as it’s a very healthy vegetable and makes delicious dishes both savory and sweet…
- 200 g flour
- 100 g butter at room temperature
- 100 g sugar
- Cold water as needed
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup of cream cheese
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven - 180C
- Mix the flour with the sugar.
- Add the butter into cubes and mix with your fingers till you obtain a kind of sand.
- Start kneading and add, little by little, spoons of water until you obtain an homogeneous dough.
- Do not knead the dough too much.
- Cover with cling film and store in the refrigerator for at least 30 min.
- Start by cooking the pumpkin, cut into pieces, in a pan with a little water. When the pumpkin is soft, remove from the pan and reduce it to a puree.
- Let it cool completely.
- When cold, add all other ingredients to the pumpkin puree and mix well.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and spread on a pie pan making sure you cover well the bottom and sides.
- Place the filling over the dough.
- Bake for about 40 min.