Another Italian style recipe, this time from me 🙂 It’s not always the boyfriend that cooks Italian dishes. Ok, he’s the one dealing with all the pasta dishes but I wanted to surprise him with something else from his cuisine. So I came up with these Puff pastry breadsticks with sun dried tomatoes and oregano. Not the most adventurous recipe but this was just the starter. I had to save my energy to cook the main course 🙂
Yyou know those bread sticks that Italian restaurants bring to the table as an appetizer before you start your meal? Or that they use on their starters together with Parma ham? Well, Italians called them “Grissini” and are usually made of bread or pizza dough. They are eaten as an appetizer either on their own or wrapped in thin slices of Prosciutto. We can find them in different shapes and flavours. Whichever version, it’s always a great nibble 🙂 Just like these ones I just cooked…
I felt like trying to make them from scratch which means making the dough. But ended up taking a big short cut – I used shop bought puff pastry! Maybe next time I make bread or pizza I will try the original recipe but this time we’ll have to stick to the fast, easy way 🙂
Puff pastry “breadsticks” with sun dried tomatoes and oregano
- 1 roll of fresh puff pastry
- 6 sun dried tomatoes
- Sesame seeds needed
- Dried oregano to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven - 180C
- Roll out the puff pastry (without removing the parchment paper it comes packed with) and sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the sun dried tomatoes and distribute them on top of the puff pastry.
- Pass the kitchen roll over the pastry, pressing lightly so that the ingredients get attached to the pastry.
- Cut the pastry into strips 1cm thick.
- With your fingers, take the ends of each strip and twist so that the whole strip is twisted
- Place the breadsticks with the parchment paper in a baking tray and bake until they are golden - about 15/20 min.