Now, don’t you think that a Sunday deserves a roast? That’s why I’m sharing with you my pork shank roasted in beer recipe 🙂 It’s a classic piece of meat with the beer sauce as a twist. Result: finger licking delicious 🙂
Back home, Sunday was the only day that my mum would cook lunch (as she was working during the rest of the days!). During the week she would try to cook simple and fast recipes for dinner, otherwise we would end up having supper at midnight! So on Sundays she could complicate things a bit more. The thing is that my mother is not exactly a cooking mum. According to her: she cooks because we have to eat. She’s not even worried about her, it’s all about me and my dad. And because my grandmother was the same, I don’t have family recipes or food traditions. Whichever traditions we have now, were introduced lately by my mum and some by me. So saying that she could complicate things a bit more on Sundays usually meant that we would have some sort of roast. In her defense, she actually does quite a good chicken roast 🙂 The kind of meat would be a decision taken at our local butcher, it would depend on what he had available or his recommendation. Pork shank was a very popular choice so I learned how to cook it in various ways. For me, one of the tastiest and easiest is this one where the shank is cooked with beer. Try it and let me know if it’s not easy and delicious 🙂
Pork shank roasted in beer
- 1 pork shank of approx. 1300g
- 60 ml of oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 l of beer
- 700 g potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven - 190C
- Place the shank in a large pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onion, garlic, paprika, tomato paste, rosemary, olive oil, beer and 400ml of water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking, turn the shank.
- After 40 minutes and when the leg starts to get tender, remove it from the pan and place it on a tray to go in the oven.
- Around, spread the potatoes and drizzle everything with the cooking sauce from the pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- After all is roasted, remove from the oven.
- Serve the shank with a greens salad