I couldn’t go through summer without cooking this pasta with swordfish and cherry tomatoes sauce… it’s such a simple yet delicious dish 🙂
Swordfish is very easy to find here in Malta and you don’t need to visit the frozen section of the supermarket. All you need is to pop into any fish shop and you will see this enormous fish in the counter. The fishmonger will then cut the steaks to your liking and you go home all happy with a beautiful fish to prepare for your meal 🙂 At least this is what happens to me…
Back in Portugal, we also find swordfish quite easily but it isn’t a popular fish at my mum’s table. We’ve always enjoyed smaller fish and not so much in steaks or fillets. Only recently, with the introduction of fish counter in all the major supermarkets, we started to appreciate this kind of fish. A bit like fresh tuna. I don’t think I ever had fresh tuna at my mum’s. When I was young, we would still go to the fish market near the beach or sometimes directly to the boats arriving from the sea. So, of course, the fish would be different: smaller like sea bream, mackerel, sardines, seabass among others. And totally fresh. Nowadays, with several changes in the Health & Safety Laws, fisherman are not allowed to sell the fish directly from the boats. Even when taken to the fish markets, there’s lots of rules and regulations and we won’t see the full catch brought from the sea. With all these changes, the fish markets are decreasing and the prices of the fish are increasing. So it became easier and cheaper for us to visit the fish counters of the supermarkets.
Here in Malta, there are really good fish shops, some more commercial, other more home business. This gives an opportunity to find a good diversity of fish from line caught, to frozen, to farmed, etc. It’s good to have the choice and be able to put together dishes as nice as this one 🙂
Pasta with swordfish and cherry tomatoes sauce
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 swordfish steaks
- 300 g Casarecce pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Olive oil to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the anchovies, garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring until the anchovies disintegrate (about 3 min).
- Add half of the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens (about 12-15 min)
- Add the remaining tomatoes, stir and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in another skillet. Season the fish steaks with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. When cool enough, coarsely flake it and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta and 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Cook over low heat, tossing often and adding more cooking liquid as needed, until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the flaked fish, the chopped parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve sprinkled with more chopped parsley