The weather is too hot to spend a lot of time around the pots and pans… yes, I said it! I’m surprising myself but during these hot days I feel like simpler food, that involves less cooking time and sometimes no cooking at all… Ok, I still have to feed the rest of my household but even them are happy with my summer food… And they do live my Olivier salad with seafood
Olivier salad is known all over the world with most counties calling it “Russian Salad”. And everyone knows how to cook it and how to adapt it to their own taste. So I’m not trying to teach you how to do it or change the way you like it… Just decided to share one of my several versions of this famous salad.
Most of the time, I go traditional and stick to vegetables and/or meat dressed with mayonnaise. Other times I jump to the fish side 🙂 Back home we like to add tuna to this salad. It’s a popular dish to take to the beach, picnics and barbecues. But it’s such a versatile dish that you can put your touch every time. In this version, I used shrimps and a bit of surimi I had in the freezer… Oh what a nice dish for a day like this 🙂
Olivier Salad with seafood
- 3 medium potatoes peeled
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 to matoes diced
- 200 g small shrimps
- 5 surimi sticks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Chopped fresh parsley as needed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- Start by cooking the potatoes, carrots and peas in a large pot with water.
- When ready, drain and let it cool. When possible to handle, cut the potatoes and carrot into small cubes. Set aside.
- Run the shrimps under cold water and cook it for 5 min seasoned with salt and pepper. Set aside
- Cut the surimi sticks into small pieces and set aside.
- in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the tomato ketchup and 1 tbsp of chopped parsley.
- In a large serving bowl, place all the ingredients - potatoes, carrot, peas, onion, tomatoes, shrimps and surimi.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the mayonnaise mixture and some chopped parsley.
- Mix gently to combine the ingredients and coat everything with the mayonnaise.
- Let it cool and if possible place it in the fridge (covering the bowl) till it's time to serve.
- Serve with lemon quarters and sprinkled with chopped parsley