I certainly didn’t invent Naan bread steak pizza put I wish I did! I wonder who had this brilliant idea that saves time and tastes delicious? And guess what? There’s another yummy ingredient: Philadelphia cheese! How much better can it get? 🙂
I took a big risk when I made this dish… can you imagine having an Italian boyfriend and putting a naan bread pizza on the table? Yes, I was a bit unsure about it but I really wanted to try it. So I tried it… and it was quite a hit! He really liked and the only comment I had was “Don’t call it pizza”! I can survive with that 🙂
I do like to cook the real pizza including the dough, all from scratch. But that takes time and some days, who has time to cook all from scratch? So when I saw a recipe for naan bread pizza on a TV show, I though I had to use it. And the right occasion came up very quickly… working in hospitality means summer brings long and hard days at work. And although I use cooking as a relaxing activity, some days I just don’t have the time for elaborated recipes. So this options was just what I needed 🙂
The naan bread makes a really nice crust and you almost forget it’s not the usual pizza crust! The only thing is that you are restricted to small pizzas as naan bread is not large. Then you top it with Philadelphia cheese and all the toppings. But no tomato sauce in the case of this recipe. But you can add it if you want. Then you cook it as a normal pizza and you have a delightful meal in no time 🙂
Naan bread steak pizza
For each pizza:
- 1 naan bread
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 125 g thinly sliced beef cut into strips
- 125 g mushrooms diced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 50 g grated mozzarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven and grill - 180C
- In a hot non-stick pan, cook the beef strips until golden (about 2 min) seasoned with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the mushrooms for 2-3 min. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Mix the cheese and mustard till you have an uniform paste.
- Place the naan bread on a baking sheet and spread the cheese/mustard paste on top.
- Season with pepper and oregano.
- Add the mushrooms and beef. Top with the grated cheese.
- Put the pizza in the oven for about 5 min. After switch the oven to the grill function and cook it enough time to melt the cheese.
- Cut into slices and enjoy while hot