Now, this mozzarella and aubergines in “carrozza” is a dish that I never tasted before I made it. It all started when one day when I was watching an Italian cooking show on TV. The chef showed how to make this dish and I just thought it must be really good! Slices of aubergines and mozzarella together and then fried? How good does that sounds? First of all, anything fried it always tastes good. Not so healthy but we have to admit that makes everything taste better… So I had to try it… When I started the recipe, by boyfriend told me that it’s quite a common dish in Italy. And that there’s another version where we use bread slices instead of aubergine. sound good too, no? But this time I went along with the recipe I’ve seen on TV.
I am not sure exactly how it should taste but I manage to make it look like the ones the TV chef made 🙂 And I liked the end result. The aubergines and tasty and the cheese just melts when you cut into it. Really nice… you have to give it a go 🙂
Mozzarella & Aubergines in “carrozza”
- 2 aubergines
- 2 fresh mozzarella balls
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Breadcrumbs as needed
- Flour as needed
- Olive oil + vegetable oil as needed
- Preheat the oven - 200 C
- Slice the aubergines to a thickness of 1cm and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 30 min. Rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Brush the aubergine slices with olive oil and place it on a baking tray on a single layer.
- Bake for approx. 10 min. Flip the slices over and bake for another 10 min. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the mozzarella balls into 1 cm slices.
- Make little sandwiches consisting of 1 slice of mozzarella inside 2 aubergine slices.
- Dip the sandwiches into flour making sure it's well coated.
- Then dip it into the egg and lastly into the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a generous amount of vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the sandwiches till golden brown.
- Place it in a plate with kitchen paper to remove any excess oil before serving.