Although I like soup, for some reason I end up not cooking it that often.I really don’t know why as my boyfriend also likes it. So to make it a change, today I cooked my favourite – leek and potato soup.
This Winter I have tried to cook soups a lot more and I’m impressed on how much I enjoyed it 🙂 maybe because I’m picking and choosing exactly what I want instead of having to eat what mum puts on the table? 🙂 I remember going through phases in my life where I would love soup and after I hate it. Don’t ask me why!!!
Everyone says that soup is one of the easiest solutions for when you don’t know what to put on the table for dinner. Just put all the vegetables you have in a pan, cook it, blend it and that’s it! But I have to complicate things and I never manage to make it that easy for me 🙂 Maybe because I never have that a great variety of vegetables around? I am trying to buy more during my supermarket trips and this coming Winter I want to start making soup and freezing it for those days when I lack time to cook or for my boyfriends lunch. Let us see how will I get on 🙂
This recipe I found on Jamie Oliver’s website. It’s a popular soup in the UK and I actually like it a lot…
Leek & Potato Soup
- 2 carrots
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 medium onion
- 400 g leeks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 400 g potatoes
- Olive oil salt & pepper, as needed
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1,8 l water
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- Peel and roughly slice the carrots.
- Slice the celery
- Peel and roughly chop the onion
- Cut the ends off the leeks, wash it and cut them into 1cm slices.
- Peel and slice the garlic
- Place a large pan on a high heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add all the chopped vegetables and mix together.
- Cook for around 10 min with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened and the onions and leeks have browned slightly
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces.
- Bring the water to the boil and dissolve the stock cubes in it. Add it to the vegetables and add the potatoes.
- Stir the soup and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 min with the lid on.
- Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender.
- Return to the heat and add the eggs while mixing with a spoon.
- Serve immediately drizzled with olive oil.