I felt like treating us again with some nice lamb 🙂 I decided to mix a bit of world flavous so I cooked lamb chops with spices, yogurt and mint sauce and asparagus couscous. What a mixture! A bit of Greece and a bit of Morocco 🙂 But I like to try these sort of combinations… well, I admit that sometimes it doesn’t taste as good as I was imagining but in other occasions things go very well…
Here I put together some of my favourite ingredients: lamb chops, mint, asparagus and couscous.
My boyfriend has started our own aromatic herbs “garden” in our back yard… so far we have a pots with mint, sage, oregano, thyme, rosemary and basil. It’s been a work of trial and error as some herbs are easy to grow but others aren’t as much. Like basil that we have tried several times but not always lasts. The other herbs have been easier and we have quite a nice supply. Mint has been the most successful one and so I decided to use well in this dish 🙂
Lamb chops will always be a favourite of ours and I like couscous as a side dish. I end up making all sorts of combinations with couscous and it always comes out nice.
So I hope you give a try to this dish full of mixed flavours and enjoy it as we did 🙂
Lamb chops with spices, yogurt and mint sauce and asparagus couscous
- 8 lamb chops
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 cm fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil needed
- 125 ml Greek yogurt
- 4 leaves of fresh mint
- Salt & pepper to taste
Couscous with Asparagus
- 1 cup of couscous
- 1 cup of water
- 300 g asparagus
- 100 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 leaves of mint
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 100 ml milk
- 1 tsp chilies
- Preheat oven - 200C
- Start by seasoning the chops: in a mortar place the cumin, coriander, turmeric, grated ginger and chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper and add a little oil to help to form a paste. Grind and mix well all the ingredients. Coat the chops with this mixture and let it marinate for at least 2 hours.
- In a frying pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil, fry the lamb for 3 minutes on each side, making sure the fat around the chops is fried well.
- Place the chops in a baking tray and take it to the oven for about 15 min to finish cooking.
- Finely chop the mint and add it to the yogurt seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
Couscous with Asparagus:
- Place the couscous in a bowl with a lid. Add a cup of boiling water, salt and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Mix and cover the bowl. Let it stand for 5 min until the grains of couscous absorb all the water.
- Cut the asparagus into pieces of about 1 cm and cut the tomatoes in half. In a skillet, melt 1 tbsp of butter and sauté the asparagus and tomatoes for about 10 min. When cooked "al dente", season with salt and pepper and add to the couscous.
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt with milk, chilies and chopped mint. Stir well and add to the couscous.
- Mix the couscous with all the added ingredients
- Serve the lamb with the yogurt sauce and couscous