Today I decided to try what seams to be a very typical Maltese dish: Kusksu with broad beans, gbejna and eggs. From what I heard, this is a Spring dish because that’s when broad beans are in season. But for me it’s more of a Winter dish, for those days spent on the sofa watching the cold wet weather outside.
For those not familiar with some of the ingredients, this is what I know about it: kusksu is a form of small pasta beads. Despite the name is not the same as couscous, but it looks similar, just bigger; and Gbejna is a small round cheese traditional from Malta/Gozo made from sheep or goat milk.
I had never heard of this soup till my boyfriend’s mother mentioned it a few weeks ago. And I got immediately curious about it. After I was given a few details about it, I done my usual online research and found a lot of recipes for this soup. Like a lot of the Maltese traditional dishes, each family has their own way of cooking it. So I decided to take a bit of each recipe I found 🙂 Luckily, with all the frozen products on the market, I didn’t have to wait till Spring to cook it. And I found out that frozen broad beans are also very good. So let me show you my first trial at this Maltese classic.
Kusksu with broad beans, gbejna and eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 l water
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 small zucchini cubed
- 1 medium potato peeled and cubed
- 1/2 chicken stock cube
- 1 cup peas
- 100 g frozen broad beans
- 1/2 cup kusksu
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 fresh gbejna cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the cubed potato and stock cube in a pot and pour over the cold water. Let it cook over low heat.
- In a pan, fry the onion in olive oil, add the sugar, salt, pepper, mixed spice, tomato paste, zucchini and stir well. Add 3-4 tbsp of water, stir again and pour the mixture in the pot with the potatoes.
- As soon as the mixture is boiling, crack the eggs in it, one by one, and remove as soon as they are poached.
- Add the cheese, leave it for 3-4 min and remove.
- When the potato is done, stir in the kusksu and peas. Leave it to cook for 3 min.
- At the end, add the broad beans and cook for another 3 min.
- Pour the soup into plates and add the reserved egg and cheese in each plate