You won’t imagine how many times we actually cook pizza in my house… A lot!! Every time I ask the boyfriend what he wants for dinner the first answer is always pizza… And because I’m such a good wifey I roll up my sleeves, knead some dough and make him his pizza 🙂 From the several topping I put together, this homemade ham and mushroom pizza is probably one of my favourites. It’s not exactly a capricciosa because there’s a few typical ingredients missing. But I do like the combination of flavours and I use it every time there’s a pizza night at home.
Most of the times, I try to make my own dough – you can check out my recipe on my “Back to basics” section. The dough can make or break a pizza and it took me a long time to find a foul proof recipe. I think the main problem was the yeast. Most recipes I found used dry instant yeast but I must have been doing something wrong – the dough would not rise… Until I found [amazon_textlink asin=’B015Y3IHHK’ text=’fresh yeast cubes’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’onceuponapan-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’9d12c585-93eb-11e7-ab88-b7b42f09883d’] in my local supermarket. So I decided to research recipes for this kind of yeast and I found one on a Portuguese blog. And you have to trust your own, no? 🙂 Gave it a try, and… perfection! On my first try the dough actually came out of the bowl!!! Since then this is my go to recipe when I have the time. And what do I do when I don’t have the time for homemade dough or I can’t find my yeast? I have a fabulous bakery nearby that always have pizza dough on sale 🙂 So my freezer is always stoked with this nice little balls, all I have to do is leave it out in the morning to defrost. In the end of the day, I warm up slightly my oven and put the dough in to rise… And you should see the face of the boyfriend when he gets home and spots the dough rising – priceless!!
Homemade ham and mushroom pizza
- 150 g pizza dough homemade (check my recipe here)
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 3 fresh mushrooms sliced
- 4 slices ham cut into thin strips
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese diced
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- Butter as needed
- Flour as needed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to the highest temperature possible - mine is 230C
- If using a pizza stone, place it on an oven tray and place it in the oven to warm it up.
- In a small saucepan, fry the mushroom slices to remove the excess water. This will help the pizza to remain crusty.
- dust your kitchen counter with some flour and roll out the pizza dough to the desired size. It's better if you manage to roll out the dough with your hands but you can use a rolling pin (I always end up using one!)
- Place the dough in an oven pizza tray or on top of the pizza stone.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly leaving a small boarder around the dough - this will prevent it from dropping out onto the tray.
- Spread the fried mushrooms and ham strips on top of the tomato sauce.
- Top it up with the diced mozzarella cheese and basil leaves.
- Place the pizza in the oven and cook it to your liking - usually it should take around 15 minutes but you can leave it longer for a more well done pizza