Did you notice those nice looking hasselback potatoes next to the chicken on my last recipe (Chicken Fricasse)? Well, I saw a chef doing them on a cooking show once and I had to give it a go. The first time I tried it, I found it quite tricky to cut the potatoes without breaking them. So I decided to do some online research and I finally learn how to make them with a very easy trick 🙂 I saw several recipe videos and most of them included some sort of stuffing i.e. bacon or cheese, which would be placed in between the cuts in the potatoes. I admit that it’s a nice idea but I though that it would be better to keep it simple as I wanted to serve them as a side to a dish that included a sauce. So I only added garlic and rosemary. It was really tasty.. such a different way to cook your usual potatoes. And it looks beautiful on the plate. If you wish to serve these potatoes with for example grilled meat or fish, I think it would be nice to add some cheese to it.
These potatoes come out of the oven crisp and full of flavour… just like you want your potatoes to be 🙂
- 2 large potatoes per person
- Olive oil as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Rosemary as needed
- Preheat oven - 180C
- Wash the potatoes (do not peel them)
- Place a potato on a wooden spoon that is the same size as the potato. Make parallel cuts, very close to one another, over the whole potato. The spoon serves to brake the knife so that the slices do not separate. Repeat with all the potatoes and set aside.
- Finely chop the rosemary and mix with garlic and olive oil 3 tbsp. Distribute half of this mixture on the bottom of a baking try.
- Place all the potatoes in the tray, cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- With a brush, smear the potatoes with the remaining mixture of rosemary and olive oil.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 min.
- Remove the aluminum foil, brush the potatoes again with olive oil and place the tray again in the oven until the potatoes are crispy.