And so my NYE dinner continued with another starter: grilled lobster – yummy 🙂
Lobster is one of those ingredients that only come to my table o really special occasions. So far only during New year’s Eve but I’m planning a lobster BBQ for my birthday, so stay tuned 🙂
Being a major fan of seafood, I really wish lobster was more affordable. But unfortunately it’s not so I can’t enjoy it as much as I would like to. A couple of years ago, I really went over board and bought 2 big live lobsters for New Year. Oh my God, it was an adventure! I had never cooked lobster and these ones were alive! I had to research a bit to find out what to do. Conclusion: you keep the lobsters in the fridge so they get sort of asleep. Then you get a large pot of boiling water and drop the live lobster in it. It sounds cruel, I know, but they were alive and we had to cook them somehow… After the initial shock, we started to get all excited about it. After the cooking process was over, I cut each lobster in half lengthways and cleaned the inside of the head (Brown bits). I then fried some garlic in butter, spread it over the inside the lobsters and sprinkled some parsley on top. And I finally took it to the grill for a few minutes. After all the work I can guarantee you it was delicious 🙂
This year, I wasn’t even planning to buy lobster. But on my trip to the fishmonger to buy prawns, I came across these “mini” frozen lobsters for €3.00 each. Why not? They kindly sliced them in half and off I went with my 2 little lobsters. At least I didn’t have to kill them this time! And as a little treat, it was really nice 🙂
- 2 small frozen lobsters
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to taste
- Heat the electrical grill - 200C
- Start by allowing the lobsters to defrost in the fridge.
- When ready, clean the heads of any brown bits which will not taste good.
- Season the lobster meat with salt and pepper.
- In a small pan, heat the butter and lightly fry the garlic without letting it burn.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place the lobsters in the grill, shell face down. Drizzle the lobster meat with the garlic butter and close the grill.
- If using the oven grill or an open grill, just start by cooking the lobsters meat face down for about 2 minutes. Then turn them around and drizzle with the garlic butter.
- Let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the lobster have turned red.
- Serve warm with toasted bread.