Another hit at my table… grilled gammon steak with potato, mushrooms and peas 🙂 To be honest, gammon steaks is not something we eat like this back home. We usually dice it and use it in other recipes pretty much the same way you would use bacon or ham. We think of gammon steaks like an English dish and in fact I started eating it more while in England. They like this ham steaks cooked in different ways and makes quite a nice dish. I really got used to it and now I find it a very quick and easy way of getting dinner on the table.
Although it’s not a fatty piece of meat (comes from the pork leg) it can have a layer of fat around. Some people remove this layer before cooking it. But I like to leave it and make sure it’s well cooked and crispy when I cook it. One of my favourite ways is to grill it. And this time I kept it even simpler with a side of potatoes, mushrooms and peas. Something quick and easy to put together after a long day at work… isn’t that what we are all looking for? 🙂
Grilled Gammon steak with potato, mushrooms and peas
- 2 gammon steaks
- Lemon juice to taste
- Butter as needed
- 4 potatoes pealed and diced
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 100 g peas
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a pan, bring salted water to a boil and add the potatoes and peas. Cook for about 20 min or until both vegetables are cooked though. Drain and set aside
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of butter and add the mushrooms. Saute till the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the potatoes and peas to the mushrooms and mix to combine it all very well. If you like, add some more butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the grill.
- Using scissors, snip the fatty rind of the gammon every or inch or so. This prevents the steak from curling up when grilling.
- Brush both sides of the gammon with a little butter. Place the gammon on the grill pan and cook each side 3-5 minutes, until brown.
- Serve drizzled with lemon juice.