Oh I love cheese… I can eat it all the time… and this fried Camembert cheese is delicious…
I’m lucky to come from a country with a great cheese history and full of different varieties. But I love cheeses from all over the world. Unfortunately, because my country has its own great cheeses, we don’t really find that many varieties from other countries. But I had the fortune of living in London for a while and there you are sure to find things from all over the world. On my way to work one day, I found a little chop that sold only cheese – heaven for me. You could find all sorts of cheese from everywhere. And they sold samples of all of them. So you could buy little triangles of cheese for £1 each!!! So for £10 you could make a world cheese board. That ended up being my weekend treat for a long time so I had the chance to taste lots and lots of different cheeses 🙂
For this recipe I chose Camembert because it melts really nicely when it’s hot. It’s beautiful to cut though it and get that nice melted cheese all over your plate 🙂 But you can use Brie or any other kind of creamy cheese that melts. I like to make this dish as a starter but I have also used it as a side dish for grilled meat together with grilled pineapple rings. So how you use it, it’s all up to your imagination 🙂
Fried Camembert cheese
- 1 Camembert cheese 250g
- 4 eggs
- Grated bread as needed
- Red berries jam to taste
- Arugula to taste
- Olive oil needed
- Cut the cheese into equal sized triangles, without removing the skin.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Place the bread crumbs in another bowl.
- Dip each piece of cheese, first it the egg, then in the grated bread. Repeat this process four times, that is, dip each piece of cheese by the egg and the grated bread 4 times. This will make the cheese resistant to the heat of frying and it won't break.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil. Fry the cheese pieces in it turning constantly allowing all surfaces to brown without burning.
- Remove the cheese from the pan and place it on paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- On the serving plate, place the arugula and season with a little olive oil. Place a tbsp of red berries jam and 2 pieces of cheese.
- Serve immediately while the cheese is still hot.