I don’t know about you, but I like to have fish as part of my diet. I was born and raised on a seaside town and we would eat fish very regularly. For a long time during my life abroad, it wasn’t so easy to include fish in my cooking. Mainly because fresh fish wasn’t available or too expensive. But now, living again near the sea, and with more approachable prices, I started being able to eat fish more often again.
My problem, is trying to find different ways of cooking fish. My favourite will always be grilled fish. And I mean the real thing, whole fish grilled on a charcoal BBQ. But that is not always possible, at least during the week, after a long day at work. So I use the oven or the electrical grill a lot. I also have another problem: my boyfriend doesn’t deal very well with eating fish with bones so I end up having to cook filleted fish.
Although I have my favourite fish dishes, sometimes I really feel like coming up with something different. This time I had some frozen hake fillets in the freezer so I thought “Why not trying to make meatballs with it and call it fishballs?” 🙂 And so I came up with this recipe for fishballs with tomato sauce
Fishballs with tomato sauce
- 800 g of fish of your choice I used hake fillets
- Grated bread as needed
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp flour
- Chopped parsley to taste
- 250 ml white wine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 300 ml fish broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cutting the fish fillets into small cubes. In a small pan, boil some water and put the fish in it to cook for about 10 min.
- When cooked, place the fish in a bowl and mash it with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, egg yolks and grated bread. While mixing, add the flour, a bit at a time.
- After all is thoroughly combined, using your hands, make small balls with the mixture. Place it in a pre-floured dish.
- In a wide pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion, garlic and bay leaf. Stir and let it cook on low heat without browning.
- Add the tomato paste, white wine and fish stock. Stir and as soon as it begins to boil, add the meatballs. Cover the pan and let it cook over low heat for 15 min. During cooking stir carefully so as not to break the meatballs.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley accompanied by cooked carrots seasoned with olive oil and chopped parsley.