During winter, I do like a good soup to warm me up… During summer, it becomes harder to eat soup. It’s too hot, isn’t it? But there’s always those days when you feel like a bit of comfort food and then who can resist a good fish soup topped up with seafood a small rings of pasta? This would be my choice of dish for these days – Fish and seafood soup with Ditalini pasta…
When my mum buys fish she always buys it whole, i.e. including the head. Some fishes are cooked whole but others no. And so she uses the heads to make fish soup. I find this to be quite a nice idea so we don’t waste anything. But there’s also another alternative: buy just the head of the fish. Did you ever notice salmon heads being sold in the fisheries? That’s what I use for my soups 🙂 it’s cheaper and you can still get a lot of meat out of it. Of course, you can use any fish you want but this is usually my choice.
To this soup, I decided to add some seafood and pasta. The seafood to add more flavour and the pasta to make it richer. I’m not a fan of watery soups so the pasta helps to add texture to it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did 🙂
Fish and seafood soup with Ditalini pasta
- 1 fish head of your choice (I used salmon)
- 1 package of frozen seafood mix
- 2 onions
- 1 leek
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chilli
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cube fish stock
- Thyme and parsley to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh mint to taste
- 800 g ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup of pasta Ditalini
- Wash the fish head and place it in a large pot.
- Peel and cut one of the onions into quarters. Place it in the pan with the fish. Add the green part of the leek, bay leaf, chilli, thyme and parsley. Cover with water and season with salt and 1/2 cube of fish stock. Boil for 10 min. After this time, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the tomatoes, clean it from the seeds and cut into cubes.
- Peel the carrots and slice it.
- Chop the other onion and the white part of the leek.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and add the onion, the leek, carrots and garlic cloves. Cover and simmer for 5 min.
- Add the tomato, pepper and a bit of water where you cooked the fish. Cook until the vegetables soften.
- Meanwhile, remove the fish head from the other pan, strain the broth and add it to the vegetables. Bring it to a boil and remove from heat.
- Whiz with a hand held blender and put the pan back on the stove.
- Add the seafood mixture and bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta, stir and cook until the pasta is "al dente"
- While the pasta is cooking, remove the meat from the fish head and shred it.
- Place the soup in the serving dishes.
- Distribute the shredded fish by the dishes and serve sprinkled with chopped fresh mint.