This egg pie has given me a headache! Why? Because I didn’t knew what to call it 🙂 started as a “Egg Quiche” but then all quiches are made with eggs, that’s what makes it a quiche! Then I though about “Ham and Cheese Quiche”. But there’s only a small amount of these ingredients and it’s not the main flavour you get when eating it. So what is the main ingredient in the end? Well, EGGS!! On top of pastry! So why not call it “Egg Pie”? So be it: an egg pie coming right out 🙂
I think I’ve expressed my love for eggs in previous occasions. It’s one of those ingredients that I wish I could add to everything 🙂 Growing up with a few chickens around, I remember my mum keeping a big basket of eggs in the cupboard. We would try to eat them but sometimes there were so many that my mum had to start baking to make use of it. Not that I can complain about that 🙂 We mainly had chicken eggs but at some point we also had duck eggs.
I remember asking my mum to cook me chips and fried eggs every time I was sick. Some kids want chicken soup, i wanted eggs. I love my eggs with a runny yolk so I’m able to dunk my bread in it. When I moved to England, for a while, I lived in the hotel where I was working. Of course, I didn’t have a kitchen to cook in, so I was constrained to eat from the restaurant buffet. What a hard life! And imagine what do the Brits have on their breakfast buffet all the time? All sorts of eggs: fried, boiled, poached, scrambled, you name it! I was in heaven for a while 🙂
So this Egg Pie is a tribute to my love for eggs 🙂 Enjoy!
- 1 package of shortcrust pastry
- 7 eggs
- 200 g sliced ham cut into strips
- 200 g sliced cheese cut into strips
- Chopped parsley as needed
- 200 ml cream
- 300 ml milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- Nutmeg to taste
- Preheat the oven - 180C
- Break 3 eggs into a bowl. Add the cream and milk.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and turmeric.
- Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Finally, add some chopped parsley and stir.
- Roll our the pastry and cover the bottom and sides of a pie pan
- On top of the pastry, spread the ham and cheese strips
- Pour the eggs, cream and milk mixture into the pie.
- On top, carefully break the remaining eggs one at a time making sure the yolk doesn't breask
- Season each egg with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 min.
- After the pie is cooked, remove from the pan and serve