Eggs… eggs… eggs… I could eat eggs with everything everyday…
This egg pie with spinach was born one day when I was in the mood for eggs and pie at the same time! I didn’t have any ready made pastry in the freezer and I was too lazy to make my own pie dough! So I looked online and incredibly I found someone that had the same problem and came up with this alternative which is a pie without pastry using boiled eggs, cabbage and salmon. What a good idea! As i don’t like cabbage and there wasn’t any salmon in my fridge, I ended up using the ingredients I had: eggs, spinach and ham… and it came out really good 🙂 We had it warm on the day I cooked it and the leftovers were eaten cold the day after. It taste really good both ways. This makes it also a good dish for picnics 🙂
Now my new objective is to cook this recipe using salmon, asparagus and cream cheese. Don’t you think it would be a really nice combination?
Egg pie with spinach
- 8 eggs
- 600 g spinach
- 250 g fresh mushrooms
- 150 g sliced ham
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 600 ml milk
- 40 g flour
- 30 g butter
- Salt pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- Grated cheese as needed
- Preheat oven - 200C
- Wash the mushrooms and cut them into slices. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside
- Place the spinach in a pan with salted warm water and cook for 10 min. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the eggs in another pot for 10 min.
- While the spinach and eggs cook, saute the mushrooms in a frying pan with a little olive oil and the garlic cloves. when done, set aside.
- Peel the eggs and cut each one into 6 slices.
- On baking tray, arrange a layer of egg slices, some spinach, some mushrooms and a layer of ham slices. Repeat with the remaining ingredients ending with the sliced ham.
- Prepare the bechamel sauce by melting the margarine over low heat, so it doesn't burn. Add the flour and stir well, until you get a golden cream. Cook a little to lose the flour flavor. Then add the milk, stirring constantly with a wire whisk (so it doesn't get lumps). Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until the texture is creamy. Add the grated cheese, reserving a little to sprinkle over in the end, and mix.
- Pour the bechamel sauce over the pie in the baking tray and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 10 min in the oven to brown the surface.