I hate wasting food… and I really hope that at least the majority of you are like me! I’m lucky that the boyfriend comes home for lunch everyday so any leftovers end up in his plate the day after. But sometimes the leftovers are not exactly part of the finished meal, sometimes I get left with fresh dough, for example. Like a few days ago when I made my shortcrust pastry from scratch for a pulled pork pie (recipe to follow soon). I was afraid not to have enough pastry to I doubled the recipe. Result: a big amount of leftover dough. Solution: a good look at my pantry/fridge, gather a few ingredients and come up with these egg and feta cheese tartlets.
We are big fans of pies… but we can’t have the same food everyday, no? So I usually freeze the leftover dough for a later use… which is what happened this time. And when the boyfriend asked what were we having for dinner I could reply: a pie 🙂 ok, I wasn’t exactly honest because I already knew it would be tartlets but a little white lie to make him happy won’t hurt… and I know he likes any type of pie so I would be just fine. And I was right… he loved it, I loved it and I hope that, if you try it, you will love it too…
- 1 sheet ready rolled shortcrust pastry thawed (or 300g shortcrust pastry from scratch)
- 3 eggs beaten
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled
- 10 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- Dry oregano to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven - 180C
- Spread the shortcrust pastry on top of a 6 x muffin tin. Press the pastry into the muffin cups and remove the excess with a knife.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in each pastry cup and top with the crumbled feta cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the yeast. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Spoon the egg mixture into the pastry cups.
- Sprinkle each cup with oregano.
- Place the muffin tin on top of a baking tray in case the mixture grows out.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm or cool
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £14.40Was: £15.00
- Price: Out of stock