This is not exactly a new recipe as I’ve seen it all over TV and magazines. What I realised is that you can easily make it your own by just changing the main ingredient. Just like my Chorizo Twirls – I used a flavour that reminds me of my home country… very Mediterranean indeed 🙂
So, one day, I was trying to find a quick starter to treat my boyfriend with and I remembered this recipe… a quick look inside the fridge and: yes, I found a roll of puff pastry… now the main ingredient: and I found chorizo!!! I always have really good chorizo that my mum brings from back home… so I knew some great taste was going to be added to this recipe… but you can use any chorizo you want. I noticed that we can easily find Spanish chorizo in the supermarkets here and you can also use Italian salami. But again, it’s up to you… it’s a very versatile recipe. i’ve seen versions with cheese, vegetables and any other other sort of meats 🙂 and it’s a very nice starter or even as a snack when having a glass of wine with friends in the afternoon… Try it and let me know…
- 1 roll of fresh puff pastry
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 120 g chorizo coarsely chopped
- 60 g grated cheese
- Olive oil and oregano the needed
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven - 190C
- In a pan, place olive oil and the garlic. Stir and heat through without browning.
- Add the tomato paste. Stir well and remove from the heat.
- Roll out the pastry without removing the baking paper. Brush it with the tomato sauce. On top, spread the chopped chorizo, the grated cheese and oregano.
- Roll the pastry back to a roll, with the baking paper around it, making sure is well tight.
- Store in the freezer for 30 minutes so the pastry becomes firm.
- After half an hour, remove the roll from the freezer and remove the baking paper. Cut the roll into slices and place them on a baking tray. Brush the slices with the beaten egg.
- Take it to the oven and cook for 15-20 min till golden