Don’t you just hate when you feel like cooking a particular recipe and you don’t really have the right ingredients around the house? And going to the supermarket is not in your plans? Well, that’s what happened on the day I cooked this chocolate and orange cake without eggs. I felt like eating something sweet and my cupboards were almost empty… and even my fridge was not helping as I had no eggs. I found this recipe written on the back of my mum’s old recipe book so I have no idea where it came from (apologies to the author). It turned out to be a really tasty cake, the chocolate taste is there but it’s not overwhelming and the hint of orange flavour makes it just delicious.
Baking was never been my favorite kitchen activity but I do like to eat a nice dessert or cake every so often… so I started experimenting more and now I manage to get some nice results 🙂 Desserts involve precision, measurements and recipes but I prefer to improvise or to adapt it to my taste. Unfortunately it’s not always possible without ruining the recipe. So I do my best to follow the instructions 🙂
Chocolate and Orange cake – without eggs
- 250 ml warm water
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 75 ml oil
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 150 g white sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 300 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven - 180C
- Mix the water with the cocoa and coffee.
- Mix the two sugars and add to the cocoa and coffee.
- Add the oil, zest and orange juice
- In another bowl, place the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in the previous mixture.
- Place in a loaf tin previously brushed with oil
- Bake in the oven for about 30 min