I really like to try new things in the kitchen. And lately I’ve been trying to learn more about Chinese cooking. It may sound complicated but till now I’m finding it quite up my street!!! This time I decided to cook Chinese pork ribs in the pressure cooker… I know we are used to wok cooking when it comes to Chinese food. But every so often I come across these unusual recipes and I have to try it!
Growing up I saw my mum using our pressure cook a lot. Particularly during Winter, we cook a lot of stews and soups. So if you want really fall-of-the-bone meat or tender beans, your pressure cooker is your best friend 🙂 We have always used the “normal” pressure cookers, that go on the stove and make funny whistle noises when the pressure is doing its job (not the electric ones). I remember so well my grandmother telling me how many whistles till the beans are ready… priceless!!!
After I got my house here in Malta, one of my parent’s house-warming gifts was a pressure cooker. My mum wanted me to be able to cook our traditional meals for the boyfriend. The funny thing is that I still haven’t done it! I’ve been using it quite a lot but mostly to speed up the meat cooking process or to experiment new recipes. No stews or beans soup have been made yet 🙂
When I found this recipe for Chinese pork ribs in the pressure cooker I couldn’t resist. I had tried to cook ribs in my pressure cooker before but I always ended up either finishing it in the oven or adding it to another dish. But this recipe sounded easy enough and everything gets done in one pot. I don’t know about you but I like recipes that don’t involve a lot of washing up after 🙂
Chinese pork ribs in the pressure cooker
- 1 kg meaty pork spare ribs
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 5 cm piece of fresh ginger grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 star anise
- 1 red chilli whole
- 150 ml soy sauce
- 100 ml rice vinegar
- 200 ml apple juice
- 75 g soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 bunch spring onions
- Sesame seeds to taste
- Pressure cooker in my case, not electric
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the pressure cooker. Add the ribs and fry until nicely browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, star anise and fry for 1 min.
- Pierce the chilli with the point of a knife and add to the pan.
- Pour over the soy sauce, vinegar and apple juice. Sprinkle in the sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- Close the lid, bring up to high pressure and cook for 30 mins.
- Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to drop naturally.
- Remove the ribs and the chilli from the pressure cooker and return it to the heat.
- Simmer the liquid until it has reduced to a fairly light syrup.
- Return the ribs to the cooker and heat through again.
- To serve, trim the spring onions, cut it half widthways and finely shred lengthways.
- Sprinkle the ribs with the sesame seeds and the spring onions