Today I decided to pay a tribute my eternal neighbours from Spain and cook a nice Chicken Paella 🙂
In this dish I put together 2 of my favourite ingredients: chicken and rice. So I’m a happy girl 🙂 I must state the obvious: the best paellas I’ve ever had was in Spain! But I find it to be quite an easy recipe to reproduce to a very tasty level. And I don’t really mind if it doesn’t taste exactly like the original.
The Paella is a traditional dish from Valencia and dates back to the 1800s. The ingredients changed over the years but the dish remained as tasty as it was back on those days. The original paellas included vegetables, chicken or rabbit. But never pork as Valencia was occupied by the Moors and these ingredients were prohibited under Muslim dietary laws and even seafood was not used. When the Moorish occupation finished these ingredients started to be used and the famous seafood paella was born.
My favorite paellas are chicken or seafood. This time let’s cook it with chicken. Stay tuned for the seafood one later on 🙂
- 1 chicken cut into small pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 115 g chorizo sausage peeled
- 225 g long grain rice
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced
- 115 g frozen peas
- 2 carrots cut into small cubes
- 100 g pitted black olives chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and brown the chicken on both sides. Add the onion and garlic, and stir in the turmeric. Cook for about 10 min stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Slice the chorizo and add to the pan. Add the carrot cubes and let it cook for 2 min.
- Add 500ml of stock and bring it to a boil. Let it cook for about 15 min to cook the chicken.
- Add the remaining stock and the rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover and continue to cook on a medium heat for 20 min.
- Add the sliced red pepper and frozen peas, and cook for a further 10 min until the rice has absorbed the stock.
- Turn the heat off and add the olives. Mix to combine the ingredients and loosen the rice.
- Serve while hot