Chicken is a kind of meat always present in my freezer… so when I miss a trip to the supermarket it’s not hard to image what dinner will be 🙂 and today was one of those days, just couldn’t be bothered to get out of the house. A look around the freezer and I decided to make these chicken legs roasted with thyme and potatoes. It’s a beautiful combination and I love a good roast of chicken and potatoes. And in this case I used new potatoes which are perfect to roast with skin on.
For most of my life I had the good fortune of eating chickens raised organically by my parents. The chickens would run freely in my family’s property eating what they could find around. So it was all natural meat with nothing strange added to it. So it was easy for us to eat chicken quite frequently: my grand mother would do beautiful chicken soup, delicious roasts and pies to dye for 🙂 During summer was time for chicken BBQ that we would eat under the trees of our back garden. Those were really good times… Fortunately I can still enjoy this healthy meat when I visit my parents back home.
Since I’ve left home I had to get used to chicken from supermarkets. But even then I try to buy organic chicken. Or sometimes I try to find local farms where I can buy chicken like I had back home. When I was in the UK I did find several chicken farms from where I would get meat and eggs from. But in Malta I haven’t gone that far yet. I try to buy eggs from the markets but I haven’t tried to find farms from where to buy the meat from. Maybe that’s my next task 🙂
Chicken legs roasted with thyme and potatoes
- 8 chicken legs
- 500 g new potatoes skin on
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 50 ml of olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven - 230C
- Dry the chicken legs with paper towels.
- Place the garlic cloves in a mortar. Add salt and crush it.
- Add the paprika, cumin, peppers and thyme. Sprinkle with olive oil and mix well.
- Sprinkle the chicken legs with this mixture. Stir well and allow to marinate for two hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Clean the potatoes and boil them for about 15 min. Don't cook the potatoes completely. Remove from the water, sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Put the chicken legs and the potatoes on a baking tray.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for about 30 to 35 min. Turn the legs after 15 min so they brown on both sides.