Another classic at my table – stuffed bread with ham and mushrooms. It’s as versatile as you can get – I used ham and mushrooms but all stuffing combinations are allowed. This is one of those recipes where you go through your fridge and use whatever you find. My versions include (besides ham and mushrooms), prawns, chourizo, all sorts of vegetables, sometimes minced meat… the options are endless 🙂
The secret though is to find the right bread… it needs to be “homemade style” bread with a hard(ish) crust. So the best is the Maltese bread – whole, of course, not slices. In my case, my difficulty is to find a small bread as the biggest ones are too much for only 2 people. So when I am lucky enough to find the perfect loaf of bread… it goes home with me 🙂 My boyfriend really enjoys this kind of food, where you can just pick here and there, with a glass of wine… basically, finger food!
This is a great party food, very social – imagine you and your friends gathered around the table, grabbing delicious pieces of toasted bread covered in yummy ingredients picked by you? How nice is that? 🙂 Back home, stuffed bread shows every time there’s a gathering of friends. It’s easy to make and everyone loves it …
Bread stuffed with ham and mushrooms
- 1 home made bread Maltese style
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thick slice of ham
- 3 types of grated cheese
- 1/2 of a mayonnaise jar
- Chopped parsley
- Finely chopped mushrooms
- Sauté the onion and the garlic cloves.
- Add the mushrooms and cook without burning.
- Add the ham cut in small cubes and mix well
- Meanwhile, cut a "hat" on the bread so you can remove the core without breaking the bread.
- When the stew is ready, remove from the heat and add the mayonnaise and cheese.
- Mix well and add the finely chopped parsley
- Put the mixture into the bread carefully, just enough to fill it up. Place the hat in the hole.
- Wrap the bread in aluminium foil and put it in the oven (150C) for about 20/25 minutes.
- When the filling is melted, open the aluminium foil and around it place the core that you took from inside the bread.
- Put it back to the oven this time with the grill on for toasting.
- When ready, serve immediately.
- Eating instructions - scoop the filling into the pieces of toasted bread. When the filling is finished, cut the bread into slices and enjoy.