Today I really felt like eating something sweet… very unusual but sometimes it happens 🙂 And of course, there’s nothing sweet around the house! Ok, let’s just bake something easy and delicious… Blueberry clafoutis! Now there’s a nice dessert that I’ve never done before. A few weeks ago my friend Betti done it herself and I said I would also give it a try. But I very rarely feel like baking so it didn’t happen till today.
Clafoutis is a French dessert – I’m all about French cuisine lately 🙂 It’s basically fruit (usually berries), covered with a flan-like batter and baked. It’s them served warm and sometimes with ice cream or whipped cream.
This dessert has its origins in the Limousin region of France during the 19th century and it’s made usually with black berries. However, there’s several variations using other fruits like blueberries, red berries, plums, prunes, apples, pears and cranberries.
Blueberry clafoutis is quite easy to make. There’s not many steps in this recipe and you just have to add all the ingredients to create a nice and thick batter. Then place the fruit of your choice on a baking dish, spread the batter on top and bake. Then the funniest thing happens 🙂 the batter starts rising like a balloon! I didn’t know that so there was a bit of a panic moment there… but when it comes to baking, I always trust the recipe so I just waited for the cooking time to finish. And guess what? It turned out just perfect 🙂 Try it, you won’t regret it 🙂
- 1 1/2 pints of blueberries
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- Pinch of fine salt
- Preheat oven - 180C
- Place the blueberries in the bottom of a small rectangular baking dish at least 5cm deep
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs lightly. Add sugar and continue whisking until the mixture thickens and is pale yellow.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Finally, add the salt and mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture over the berries in the baking dish.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 45min until the clafoutis has puffed and the center bounces back when lightly pressed. Half way through the time, rotate the tray.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before cutting. Serve immediately while still warm.