Sometimes, I just feel like cooking simple comfort food… and most importantly, easy and fast to prepare… True, some days I actually don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen. Sometimes, when this happens I end up recruiting my boyfriend to the kitchen which is also a good thing. He cooks really nice pasta dishes which I always enjoy. But, because I finish work a few hours before him, I feel guilty to just seat at home waiting and then ask him to cook dinner. I don’t think it’s fair…
Almost everyday I make a trip to the supermarket when I finish work. I would have though of a recipe and off I go to get the ingredients. But some days, I can only think about getting home and dinner will be a last minute resolution from what’s on the cupboards and in the fridge – like these beans with tuna and eggs in the oven.
I admit that beans and tuna may not sound like a normal combination but it’s good, believe me 🙂 and it’s an economical recipe. Together with a few other ingredients that are always around, I cooked quite a nice dish for dinner…
Beans with tuna and eggs in the oven
- 400 g canned beans I used kidney beans
- 2 cans of tuna
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 can of tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 potatoes cooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 green pepper
- Grated cheese as needed
- Salt and pepper taste
- Preheat the oven - 180C
- Sauté the onion, garlic and bay leaf in olive oil.
- When the onion is translucent, add the pepper and let it cook a bit more.
- Add the tomatoes, correct the seasoning and let it cook.
- If it starts to dry, add a little white wine.
- When all is cooked, add the boiled potatoes, cut into small cubes and mix it well.
- Add the tuna and beans (both drained) and let it saute for a few minutes.
- When ready, put the mixture on a baking tray.
- Open 2 "holes" in the mix and break an egg into each space.
- Top with grated cheese and take it to the oven to bake the eggs and melt the cheese.
- Serve with a green salad