I really like a good English Breakfast. However, I would never to be able to eat it early in the morning or everyday!!! And, believe me, not even English people manage 🙂 After quite a number of years in England I can tell you that this is more of a Sunday treat that everyone likes to have every so often. And one that it’s taken outside the house. Not exactly the most practical breakfast to cook at home… So it’s often taken as very late Sunday breakfast or as brunch, it’s yummy 🙂
Downfalls: if you cook the traditional version, all the items are fried. If you have a normal kitchen like I do and only 2 hands 🙂 you may find it hard to cook properly all the ingredients at the same time and in enough quantity. Then the fact that it’s all fried, makes me feel guilty and also makes my waist and hips complaint 🙁
So I have been trying to make baked English breakfast instead. After a few failed attempts (due to burned or under cooked items!!!), I managed to get a nice Baked English Breakfast on the table 🙂 or should we call it Brunch? After all it was served at about 1 pm 🙂
Let me know if you enjoy this “healthier” version 🙂
Baked English Breakfast
- 4 breakfast sausages
- 4 eggs
- 2 to matoes
- 6 medium mushrooms
- 6 slices of streaky bacon
- 1 can of baked beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mixed herbs to taste
- A few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Milk as needed
- 1 tbsp butter
- Oven - 180C
- Start by piercing the sausages with a fork to prevent the skin to "explode" while cooking.
- On a baking tray, put a little amount of olive oil and the sausages and take them to the oven for about 5/10 min.
- Meanwhile wash the tomatoes and mushrooms and drain them on paper towels to remove excess water. Cut the tomatoes in half and place them on the tray along with sausages and mushroom and season with salt, pepper, herbs and a little Worcestershire sauce. Also add the slices of bacon to the tray and put it back in the oven to bake for another 15 min or until all the ingredients are cooked.
- While the ingredients are in the oven, open the can of beans and place them in a small pot. Take it to low heat till pipping hot.
- Add the butter to another pan and when hot, add the eggs. Let it fry for 1 min and start mixing it with a wooden spoon to break the eggs. Continue to mix and add a splash of milk. Cook the eggs stirring continuously till they are to your liking.
- Remove the tray from the oven and serve it all with hot slices of fresh bread.