And I return with my traditional fish, this time: baked codfish in the oven 🙂 This is such an easy and fast way of putting fish on your table… you prepare the ingredients, place it on the baking tray, put it in the oven and forget about it until the oven beeps 🙂
On my last codfish recipe I briefly explained that I mainly use salted/dry codfish and what needs to be done to prepare it for cooking. It’s not difficult and I decided to help by posting the whole process explanation on my “Back to Basic” section – “Tricks & tips” – or just follow the link Salted codfish how to remove the salt and rehydrate it
This time, I’m using the fish fillets in one piece and not shredded. You can feel the real fish flavour without being overpowering. I know that some people don’t like food that tastes too “fishy”. If you’re one of them, don’t worry, and try it 🙂 This is the most traditional dish we cook for Christmas back home. Being such a popular fish it’s only natural that we would cook it during such an important commemoration. And Christmas is whenever we want, so let’s cook it and enjoy it 🙂
Baked codfish in the oven
- 2 dried/salted codfish fillets - previously soaked to remove the salt
- 4 medium potatoes
- 125 ml olive oil
- 2 onions cut into slices
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- Chopped parsley to taste
- Bread crumbs as needed
- Preheat oven - 180C
- In a saucepan put water to boil and season with salt.
- Add the potatoes and let it cook for 20 min
- In a baking tray, spread the onion, garlic and bay leaves.
- On top place the cod fillets and sprinkle with grated bread
- Drizzle everything with olive oil.
- Finally, put the potatoes around the codfish and season with salt.
- Bake for 40 min
- Halfway through the time, drizzle everything with the sauce.
- When ready, season with olive oil and chopped parsley