This is a very different salsa – mainly because it’s not liquid but made of chunky ingredients put together.
It originated in Mexico where is also called “salsa fresca” (fresh salsa). Basically consists of uncooked tomato, onion, coriander, chilli pepper and lemon juice. Other ingredients may be added but this is the original version.
In Mexican cuisine is used as one of the main ingredients for fajitas and tacos
No one knows where the name “Pico de Gallo” (rooster’s beak) comes from but it’s delicious and that’s what’s important!
Salsa Pico de Gallo
- 3 to matoes cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion cut into small cubes
- Fresh coriander chopped
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the tomatoes, onion, coriander and jalapeno pepper.
- Season with lemon, salt and pepper.
- Place in the refrigerator until serving time