I love rice… Thanks to my father genes 🙂 I like it no matter how it’s cooked being a main course or a side dish. It’s just a kind of food that I would eat all the time. Unfortunately the boyfriend is not such a fan. He’s more of a pasta man thanks to his Italian genes! But I still cook my rice every so often most of the times being in risotto form. But I’ve also cooked some of our traditional dishes that involve rice and it has been approved.
The only rule I have for cooking rice is that I don’t do it plain. You know, nice white rice? Well, I’m not allowed to cook it! By boyfriend call it “hospital food” and says there’s no flavour to it, no matter what I do. So my options are to always mix something in it. When I cook rice as a side dish I always add some sort of vegetable just like this rice with peas. The cooking method is always the same, I only change the vegetable.
Rice with peas
- 1 and a half cup of rice
- 3 cups of hot water
- 250 gr of frozen peas
- 1 small onion
- Olive oil as needed
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Sauté the finely chopped onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add the rice and let it fry a few minutes.
- Add the hot water, season with salt, add the bay leaf and let it simmer.
- Once boiling add the peas and cook with the pan covered for about 20 min.
- At the end of cooking add the butter and mix well.