I find couscous to be a great ingredient that can be cooked in so many ways and used as a side dish or even as a main course
In this recipe, I added lemon and spices so it would go well together with Indian Chicken. But the base preparation of the couscous is the same whichever ingredients you decide to add to it.
Basically, you add uncooked couscous to a bowl or pan, add a knob of butter and season with salt and pepper. Then add hot water or hot broth, cover the recipient and let the couscous absorb the liquid. Stir it with a fork to loosen the couscous.
Then you just have to cook any other ingredients of your choice and add it to the couscous.
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 3 pods of cardamom
- 2 cups couscous
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- Olive oil and salt to taste
- In a pan, put 2 tbsp olive oil and add the zest and juice of the lemons, the mustard and the cardamom pods to which gave a blow to open them up so it releases their aroma during cooking.
- Let it cook all for 2 minutes and then add the couscous, combining it well in the olive oil and spices.
- Then add hot chicken broth, salt and mix well.
- Cover the pan and turn off the stove. Let it stand for 10 min so the couscous absorb all the broth.
- After this time, check that the broth was all absorbed and stir with a fork to loosen the couscous