I watch a lot of cooking shows on TV… I love to watch how other people cook, their tricks and how they use the ingredients. Most of the time, it’s not because of the recipes because I always change it. I like it cause I can take ideas and then make my own things.
But when it comes to cakes, we have to follow the recipe… I still make little little changes, but in general I really have to stick by the instructions.
American carrot cake has always been a favorite of mine. The problem was that most of the versions I’ve found in the past included dried grapes. And I really don’t like them. When eating a piece of cake I would just try to take out the dried fruit pieces. Which was not always an easy task. So one day I saw someone baking an American carrot cake and there weren’t any dried fruits involved. Just nice dried nuts 🙂 I had to make it… I got the recipe from foodnetwork.com and I honestly don’t know who was the author… but thank you whoever you are 🙂
So if you are in the mood for a delicious piece of case, give it a try…
American Carrot Cake
- 250 ml vegetable oil
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 225 g brown sugar
- 140 g carrots peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 225 g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 140 g walnuts chopped
- 45 g softened butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- 170 g cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon juice to taste
- Preheat the oven - 180C
- Line a cake tin with baking paper. Brush the paper with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- In a bowl, stir together the oil, eggs, sugar and carrots.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate soda, cinnamon and ginger into a large bowl.
- Fold the 2 mixtures together and then fold in the walnuts.
- Place the dough in the tin and bake in the center of the oven for 25 min or until the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 min in the tin. Then take out and cool completely.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Sift the icing sugar over the top and stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.
- Cover the cake with the icing.